View my previous work

View my previous work at Roxiecakes Creations

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Cake Pops!

Well this week was the week for cake pops, three orders for a total of 11 dozen!
I did red velvet, double chocolate, vanilla and lemon.
Here are some pics & a little step by step if you are interested in trying them at home:
And for more cake pop inspiration and other great baking projects, be sure to check out Bakerella.


First I start with some fresh baked cakes (I bake from scratch, while if you just want to do the pops, and in a hurry, I've talked to several bakers that just work with cake mixes and that works just fine for them).



Crumble the cake up - I use a wooden spoon, but I imagine you could use your mixer. Once the cake is crumbled fine add your icing ( a little at first). Just until you get a good sticky consistency and the cake crumbs stick together.
Then roll them out like so (below- I know they look like meatballs but they are red velvet). I use whatever icing I feel like...cream cheese icing, vanilla buttercream, chocolate buttercream- totally up to you.


Then freeze - I sometimes freeze them over night, but you could freeze for just an hour or two until frozen solid.


Once your pops are frozen solid melt a little chocolate so you can dip the lollipop sticks in it & into the pops. For chocolate I use whatever I have on hand- Callebaut chocolate,  Bakers Secret, Wiltons Candy Melts, or chocolate candy melts from wherever else I can get my hands on them!
Once your sticks are in throw them back in the freezer for a few more minutes until they've hardened up again.
Melt a bit more chocolate/candy melts you may need to thin out the chocolate with a dash of vegetable oil- but whatever you do DO NOT ADD WATER!
Just until you get the right consistency- I personally like mine thick for a nice thick coat on the cake pops.


Then have fun dipping your cake pops! You can stand them up in a piece of styrofoam to dry, or face down on a piece of wax paper, depending on how you plan to serve them.
Have fun & let me know how it goes!







Here's a pic of one of my 'guinea pigs' 





Cake pops for a birthday party at an art studio 
(4Cats in Coquitlam), complete with cake board palette.







No comments:

Post a Comment